This time I did not forget the Butternut Squash at the store!!! Read post here!
Hearty Beef and Butternut Stew
1½ lbs raw lean beef stew meat, boneless, cut into cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
½ green bell pepper, chopped
½ red bell pepper, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup carrots, chopped
¼ cup green onions, chopped
1 cup cherry tomatoes or 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 cup organic beef broth (I used Pacific Brand)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground black pepper (optional)
¼ cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
2 cups cubed butternut squash
1 tsp olive oil (or coconut oil spray)
* add a bay leaf to your spices if you choose (my husband does not like bay leaf, so I left it out)
1. Heat a large sauce pan on stove over medium-high heat and add oil or spray (I sometimes use coconut spray)
2. Add beef; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until beef is brown.
3. Add onion and bell peppers; cook, stirring frequently , for 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute
5. Add tomatoes, carrots, green onions, broth, salt and pepper, bay leaf* and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat medium-low, cook, covered, for 40 minutes.
7. Add butternut squash for about 12 mins
8. Cook until beef is fork-tender.
9. Remove bay leaf (if you used it) and serve topped with parsley.
21 Day Fix Extreme = 1 GREEN 1 RED
Tips: I would TOTALLY do this in the slow cooker, except I forgot to put in on at lunch time and I had to rush and make it at dinner time during homework and before we all ran out the door for sports!
I would cook on high for 4-6 hours or Low 6-8 hours if using a slow cooker
*The National Cattlemen’s Beef Association Culinary Center recommends cooking steaks just to medium rare (145°F) or medium (160°F) doneness;
I had leftover Butternut Squash and made this Butternut Squash Quesadillas for lunch!
See Recipe HERE!