Recipe and Photos From Beachbody Blog
This colorful side dish packed with vegetables is hearty enough to be your main course!
Roasted Pumpkin, Sweet Potato, and Brown Rice Pilaf
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 1 hr. 20 min.
Yield: 8 servings, about ¾ cup each
2 cups cubed raw pumpkin (½-inch cubes)
1 medium sweet potato, peeled, cut into ½-inch cubes
2 tsp. olive oil, divided use
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium celery stalk, chopped
2 cups chopped kale
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
3 cups low-sodium organic vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
1 cup dry brown rice
1. Combine pumpkin, sweet potato, and 1 tsp. oil in a medium bowl; mix well.
2. Arrange pumpkin mixture on baking pan.
3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, stir; continue baking for 10 to 12 additional minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork. Set aside.
4. Heat remaining 1 tsp. oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
5. Add onion, celery, and kale; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
6. Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes.
7. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
8. Add broth, bay leaf, and rice. Bring to a boil, covered. Reduce heat to low; gently boil for 45 to 50 minutes, or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed. Remove bay leaf.
9. Gently fold in pumpkin mixture.